Last week, local primary school students, staff, parents and interested community members came together at the Hamilton Performing Arts Centre to learn and share stories/experiences from VicHealth 's Walk to School month. The aim was to learn from what we've done, seen and heard throughout the month and build ideas to make Walk to School month every month!
The group came up with some great ideas to keep the momentum going, including;
- Continuing to use drop off points
- Keep doing group walks
- Build better bike and scooter (road) safety skills
- Implement a junior-senior school walking buddy system
- Develop posters and visual prompts for use year around
- Improve infrastructure; build better paths and safer road crossings
Big thanks to George Street Primary School, Hamilton, Tarrington Lutheran School, Hamilton Gray St Primary School and Hamilton North Primary School for attending and sharing your stories. Thanks also to Cafe Gray for our fresh morning tea.
Just because the official Walk to School month draws to a close today, there's no stopping now! Contact Ebony on 5551 8475 to find out more or to get involved.